On this research, we are studying the methodology created by professor Rowena Reed Kostellow on the structure of visual relationships with the employment of computation design. This methodology was developed over five decades and has been a model for design education over the world. It trains students and designers to be more sensitive to the abstract relationships of form and teaches a built-in system for form finding. It’s important to mention, that our idea here, is not to propose the use of computers instead of hands in Professor. Reed’s problems. On the contrary, as an enthusiast of this educational approach, our goal is to better understand this system. Hence, we are searching for hidden patterns in this system, that only computers can process.
To better understand the system, we defined a three-phase project. The phase one consists of the creation of an algorithm that virtually replicates models of one of the methodology’s system. On the second part of the research, we are going to create an analytic algorithm to calculate complex data about the compositions created in phase one. On phase three we hope to create a taxonomy of the models generated based on the information collected during phase two.
We based our first computational experiment on Rowena’s methodology first problem, called as rectilinear volumes. The objective of this exercise was to create a unity from three rectilinear forms as essentially different in character as possible. We used the exercises principles as rules for our generative algorithm. Here are some of those rules:
- Volumes should vary in character
- Differentiate the volumes by choosing a dominant, subdominant and subordinate forms.
- Vary the inherent proportion, comparative proportions and overall proportions of the composition.
- The axis of the volumes should be perpendicular to each other (in this exercise).
- The design being aware of all sides of the piece.
- Consider how the volumes are joined.
- Dominant and subdominant volumes should be complementary.
- The dominant form should be in the most prominent position.